Today’s #Tango Thought 102: The Walking Debate
There’s a great deal of debate on this one thought > Is the foundation of dance really walking ? Or is it something else ? Is it steps/patterns/figures ? Is it the music ? Is it the Milonga experience itself ? Is it all of this stuff ? Is it none ? Today’s Tango Thought is not going to answer that question, but will offer you an opinion that is exceptionally hard to refute, consider if you will the following:
1. ) In order to get from point a. to point b. we either must take some form of transit, or walk…putting one foot in front of the other (or behind).
2.) Without modern forms of transit or transit that involves wheeled motion, or forms of flight, we are relegated to either animal asst’d movement (horse, donkey, elephant, cow…) or our own two feet.
3.) All dances, regardless of the form, require some form of walking locomotion, especially the partner dances. Even ContactImprov requires it to a lesser degree.
If all of that is true, then the world of transit or getting from point a to wherever is really all about walking. If that’s the case then it stands to reason that tango is about the walk as well. And it is important to focus on the quality of the walk, and spend lots of time working on one’s walk because it is the foundation of everything else that you’ll ever do in the dance. Which is to say that the cleaner that you make that walk, the more that you study that walk, the more that you understand that walk, the easier is is to manipulate and it (mentally) to make it bend to your wishes! Draw your own conclusions from there…
Register (Free Stuff!!) or Subscribe (Cool Stuff!!!) to Go Deeper with your Dance!
• Lifetime Access
• Preview Content
• Bootcamp Videos
• Practical Tango Advice
• 20+ Free Technique Videos (Including: The Argentine Cross, 6 Ocho Variations, The Follower’s Shortened Side Step, and More!!!)
• Access to Level 1 of Tango Music – The Beat!
• 10% Discount on any Purchased Download.
Freemium Level + Everything Below
• Immediate Access to ALL Technique Videos
(Including: Boleo Series, Gancho Series, Sacada Series, Building Blocks Series, and The Golden Nugget Series)
• Access to Beat Exercises.
• 14 Days of Tango Music Exercises.
• 30 Days of Tango Music
• All 3 Volumes of Tango Truisms (1230 truisms)
• 25% Discount on any download.
Improve Your Milonga Today
with Detlef Engel & Melina Sedó!
• Immediate Access to Milonga Madness
• Technique & Musical Interpretation
• 3 Primary Rhythms of Milonga
• Clear Explanation of the Habanera
• Over 2.5 hrs of HD Video
• Milonga Exercises & More
or Go For The Gold & add Gold Level