Today's Tango Thought 022: Head Tilt
The tilt or position of one’s head (for lead or follow) is far more important than you might imagine. First and foremost, where the head points the body tends to follow. There’s a reason for this, your equilibrium, contrary to popular belief your balance is not generated in the center of your belly. This ‘myth’ is better known and often repeated as to indicate your ‘core’ muscles. This is a lie. Your balance, stability, and equilibrium is generated from one place only in your body: your inner ear! And where the inner ear points….the body tends to follow suit. So in effect tilting your head to either forward, either side, or back will tend to generate a state of non-equilibrium in you, and thereby you’re now leaning, and more likely hanging on your partner in a variety of Tango moves (as a Lead OR as a Follower!).
In short, the tilt of one’s head causes an orientation issue that you want to avoid. Best practice ? Lift up your head! Pretty simple. Right ? Wrong. You’re so used to doing this that you’re not even aware that you’re doing it. For Followers the practice is to tilt their heads into their lead’s shoulder and neckline (mostly it’s a height thing). For Leads it’s watching their Follower’s feet. Neither of which is desirable. #SocialTango #SocialDance #ArgentineTango #TangoDancing
Register (Free Stuff!!) or Subscribe (Cool Stuff!!!) to Go Deeper with your Dance!
• Lifetime Access
• Preview Content
• Bootcamp Videos
• Practical Tango Advice
• 20+ Free Technique Videos (Including: The Argentine Cross, 6 Ocho Variations, The Follower’s Shortened Side Step, and More!!!)
• Access to Level 1 of Tango Music – The Beat!
• 10% Discount on any Purchased Download.
Freemium Level + Everything Below
• Immediate Access to ALL Technique Videos
(Including: Boleo Series, Gancho Series, Sacada Series, Building Blocks Series, and The Golden Nugget Series)
• Access to Beat Exercises.
• 14 Days of Tango Music Exercises.
• 30 Days of Tango Music
• All 3 Volumes of Tango Truisms (1230 truisms)
• 25% Discount on any download.
Improve Your Milonga Today
with Detlef Engel & Melina Sedó!
• Immediate Access to Milonga Madness
• Technique & Musical Interpretation
• 3 Primary Rhythms of Milonga
• Clear Explanation of the Habanera
• Over 2.5 hrs of HD Video
• Milonga Exercises & More
or Go For The Gold & add Gold Level